Sunday, June 4, 2017

Weekly Reflection for Week of 5/26

This week I made ferrofluid! It didn’t spike like I hoped it would, but it was definitely magnetic and fluid, so it wasn't a total failure. After some preparations and the acquisition of kerosene, I went into the fume hood to stir some chemicals. I didn't make as much ferric chloride solution as the recipe called for, so I had to use about ¼ of everything in the recipe to make the ratios match up. This could’ve been where some of the error came from, I might’ve accidentally messed up one of the chemical's ratios. Other than that, I followed the recipe exactly, and after about an hour and a half in the fume hood I came out with the final product. It was the color I would expect, and it responded to a magnet so it was clearly magnetic, but instead of forming spikes it formed more of a weak blob. Although it technically worked, overall I was disappointed, so I’ll definitely give it another try. I couldn’t make another batch last week because I used the school’s whole supply of ammonia over the weekend I got more ammonia from Walmart and am now stocked up for round #2. After the Seniors present their genius hours, I’ll be able to try the recipe again. This time I’m going to follow the exact amounts listed, and hopefully I’ll make ferrofluid that’s less lame.

No comments:

Post a Comment